14 December 2010

Prompt 9: "Party"

December 9 – Party
Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
(Author: Shauna Reid)
Parties
This year I attended some amazing events.  As much as I enjoy socializing, I hate stressing out about planning a party so I actually didn't throw any myself.  The year started off well in Melbourne, FL, which is a great place for people who are tired of the Orlando scene to escape to.  I rang in thte New Years with some of y best friends and new friends made on the spot.

This year my sister graduated from college and we had a great party for her, to celebrate her accomplishment and meet many of her friends from college.  In fine party tradition there was a good mix of old friends and family, and new faces with fresh perspectives, and i think that can make for one of the best atmospheres for people, especially with an underlying excuse to celebrate.

My birthday falls right in the middle of Summer, which made planning during the school year complicated as a child, but is very nice as another excuse to get together with friends during sunny days, especially here in Florida.  This year my best friends surprised me with a weekend on the beach that was as relaxing as I've ever experienced.  The place we stayed, Seashell resort and cottages, is designed to be the perfect retreat, with amazing rooms and views, and every amenity we could think of provided.  After two days we were so relaxed we needed to get away from the resort just to feel like we'd accomplished something, so it was the perfect length of stay.

Two of my friends, Ron and Darren, are masterful party planners, holding events each year that are "not to be missed".  Typically one of them will spend months planning birthday parties for the other and they are always so fun, with themes and decorations and games to be played.  This year, to break the cycle, they agreed to jointly throw a party for a third friend who was celebrating a milestone birthday.  If individually their parties were noteworthy, their joint efforts were unforgetable.  I'm so excited every time I receive an invitation to join in their merry-making.  In 2010 I saw them only twice, both times at parties, including the incredible thanksgiving dinner they hosted for all of their friends, and I hope in 2011 I make it a priority to see them more often, without the pressure of hosting a marvelous party on either of their shoulders.

Although it's not really a party in the traditional sense, whenever my sister comes back to town to visit, and we have dinner with my parents, it feels like a small party.  It's a blessing each time, and I'm so glad she has found such a neat guy to spend her life with.  I feel like both of our families are supportive of their relationship and I hope in 2011 we'll get to celebrate in this manner even more.

Even the small gatherings with friends, at homes, coffee shops, and pizza parlors can feel like a party when that perfect blend of inclusion and openness meets stimulating conversation or fun games, in 2010 I experienced this often, and in 2011 I hope to continue the trend while bringing even more people into the fold.

No comments:

Post a Comment