10 December 2010

Prompt 7: "Community"

December 7 – Community.
Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?
(Author: Cali Harris)
 In 2010 I had surprising growth in two communities.  First of all, as a temporary worker with the census I experienced growth in my literal physical community.  I was so lucky to get to train nearby with others who lived in my own area of town and later take on a leadership role with them.  It was very exciting to discuss where we would be working, what kind of welcome we received, and just the general changes we'd observed in our area over the past few years.  Ironically, the restaurant we would sometimes get coffee at closed down shortly afterward but that in itself was a perfect example of how quickly the area is changing.

It was very rewarding to get to know some of my neighbors through that project and to make friendships with my coworkers.  Despite living in this area for many years, that was the first time I got to discuss my views on the city with otherwise strangers. It was very exciting to see how much we all have in common.

I also used the internet to grow more connect in the literary community, although not nearly as many as some.  My main point of contact was a friend of mine named Sarah, who does a great deal to foster connections and community in the Orlando area, I wish we didn't live on opposite sides of a very broad city.

Following Sarah's example, I organized a temporary literary group this year for the NaNoWriMo competition.  Many people were complaining that there wasn't a set place or time to meet one another in the University area, so I committed to a time and got the word out.  I can't say it was a huge success but I did get to meet a handful of fellow authors and the people who attended had a good time.  It certainly was worth the effort!

In 2011 I would like to make an effort to reach out to a religious community of some kind, because I do have my faith, but I don't agree with my parents church or many of the church doctrines these days.  I think there is a lot of reward in having a faith based community to enjoy a spiritual connection in, but it cannot be one that is based on judgment or one wherein all the members are suffering under burdens that they want help with but do not wish to shed.  It seems to me that many of the people in church have social or psychological issues but they only want attention from others, or the ability to condemn others in order to avoid their own circumstances.  So, my hope is that I might come across a group that simply enjoys celebrating life and sharing joy over hardship.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! That's me! <3

    And we don't live TOO far apart :-)

    ReplyDelete