14 December 2010

Prompt 12: "Something about mind/body" #Reverb10

December 12 – Body Integration
This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
(Author: Patrick Reynolds)
There are nights when I have an impossible time trying to fall asleep.  Often I've had too much caffeine during the day, or I haven't had any and my body is going through some withdrawal, but I get VERY frustrated when I can't fall asleep, because anyone close to me can attest that I treasure my sleep time.  Anyway, a few years back I think I really disturbed one of my roommates when I announced that around 4:30AM the night before, lying in bed trying desperately to fall out of consciousness, I had "found my soul".  Apparently I had, for a while, felt like my soul had died, and in the late night under situations of extreme exhaustion, I felt like I had reconnected with my soul, somewhere about 6 cm above my bellybutton.

I don't really understand this prompt, I know that I don't exist in a state of balance, that my mind is constantly engaged in other thoughts and not paying direct conscious attention to my body.  It's why I, and other creatures of Earth, have an autonomic nervous system.  I think birds and fish do too.  Dinosaurs might have.   The best reply I can offer is that when I get REALLY tired, and can't fall asleep, my body feels funny.  And when I sleep in late, usually for two-three hours past when I expect to wake up, I have really super-vivid dreams that are better than regular sleep.

I think that the "moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present" is a result of epinephrine pouring out of the adrenal gland in such high doses that your mind stops pondering abstract thoughts and suddenly listens to all of your sensory feedback at once.  You are "simply a cohesive YOU".

No comments:

Post a Comment