16 December 2010

Prompt 15: "5 Minutes" is one more than Madonna had. #Reverb10

December 15 – 5 Minutes
Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.
(Author: Patti Digh)
Alright, I've had way longer to think about this than the prompt intended, but I'll keep true to the intention and write my thoughts in five minutes:

I'm living back home again, I moved into Kellyn's place with Josh and Kyle briefly after Angel moved to Ft. Lauderadale.  Alyssa Tieman also moved away to live with her family in Alabama, and Katie got married to Ben and they now live in Ft. Lauderdale. Matt got married to Jennifer in Houston, you drove there with Jim and Joanna, pics on Facebook.  Mike Maher visited frequently and is likely moving back to Orlando shortly.  Joseph is now working.  Josh has a one bedroom over at -----  and can tell you more about anything in that social circle, including some developments in "small world". Nick finally moved in with Jon. Lucus and Kelly split amiably. Your closest new friends are Sarah from NaNo '09, you've met a few times, and Emily at UCF LINK.  Also, Alyssa's friend Laura and her husband have been regular social contacts throughout the year, maintain this.

You have a new bank account with Chase it's #### $$$, Your old ones are still open as well.  Your credit card is paid off, try not to use it.  You paid a tax fine for early withdrawing your state IRA, because when you're 65 you're going to be rich or dead anyway.  You don't have health insurance or a job or any outstanding debt.

You're also single.

Relatedly, you've got a little black book note saved on your iPhone so brush up on what happened in that this year, it wasn't much.

Your sister graduated, it was amazing, you're so proud of her.  She's living with her boyfriend outside Gainesville.


No one's phone number has changed.

No one close passed away this year, you saw grandpa and grandma in November, they still love you and are healthy.

You worked for five months for the federal government but didn't get benefits, the resume reflects experience and references.  Any new contacts from that job are labeled in your address book.

A bunch of fun computer games came out, you still don't have time for them.  On the point of computers, you lost account security midway through the year so all your passwords have changed but you should be able to figure the new ones out from the multiple integral equations, substituting names as dates as indicated, that are written on the back of your checkbook, which is where you use to keep it.


2011 is a blank state, do your best not to lose your mind again next year :D

I had 0:12 left, although I think I had covered everything.  I probably would have left half of that out if I hadn't seen the prompt earlier in the day.  I hope I didn't offend anybody!

I think that if I really did have to do this, maybe write a "patch update" for a cloned version of me that had last been backed up in 2009 or something, I probably would have included a few more personal things, and emotional relevance, that I didn't put publicly here.

How curious to see that I was mostly concerned with salvaging social connections and practical matters such as finance and access codes.  I was also shocked at how well some of my data is actually organized, I was able to just write that stuff out fluidly without having to think too hard.

The little black book part isn't true, but I think Clone me would get the information from that clue. 

The thing about the passwords written in mathematical equations and subjective references in my checkbook is true, I got so frustrated when I had to change my passwords this year (I was pretty lazy about recycling the same few) that I had to write down a way to remember what accounts needed which.

This was a SUPER fun prompt though, it was like a Four Loko version of Reverb 10 (Note to Clone, don't drink Four Loko). 

2 comments:

  1. I edited the post for layout after I finished writing.
    Also, I wanted to mention that the overly complex titles are for ease of use with the feedburner that is pushing my posts to the twitter account, something that was a lot easier and more customizable back in malfunctioning Tumblr.
    I should be happy that it works at all I guess.
    Someday Google will integrate everything, then it will be the new AOL, 20 years later, and eventually it will crumble. Tech companies are the new empires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I mentioned you in mine too.

    And oops. didn't realize I was logged in the other gmail account.

    ReplyDelete