20 August 2011

Day 13

Work was fairly uneventful today but I did leave a little earlier so that I could join my Grandfather back at the fair in the adjacent county.

He had managed to score tickets to the Demolition Derby. Oh man was this ever fun. They destroyed about 40 cars and 8 pickups. The tickets were a fundraiser for the after-prom party (to discourage teenager-ing after prom) and there were significant cash prizes (I assume provided by sponsors or entry fees) for the top three cars in every category.

I had no problem believing all the hype leading up to this event because people in South Dakota are absolutely terrible drivers.

When I moved to Florida I thought the drivers there were much worse than Virginia, because they were much more aggressive and fast. Now I'm grateful for that training. I've narrowly avoided two accidents myself in these two weeks and two of my co-workers have had minor accidents during their lunches and two others already didn't have their licenses because they'd been suspended.

So if there's one thing I knew I could count on the country boys to do well around here (other than impregnating) it was put massive engines into rusty cars and mash them into each other.

Result!



Basically it was 6-8 cars at a time and the survivors moved on. They were still "in" until they removed their "flag" stick. If their engine died they had 2 minutes to restart it. My phone died before the end but the last two standing at the end of 7 "races" (rounds?) were chasing each other around the disabled other 6 mashed up cars and both of their engines were so beat up that they both died twice and restarted twice. It was hilarious to watch.



After each round the "dead" cars were removed. It was a point of pride if the driver could get it running enough to hobble out on their own power. Sometimes they just needed to be unstuck from another car or the concrete barrier. Then they were eligible to enter the "consolation round" and try for the last spot in the finale (like coming up the loser's bracket)





It was a great night, the storms skirted the fair all evening, and I had some quality time with my 90 year old Granddad. I even tried Chislic (a roasted spiced lamb skewer) and some local homemade ice cream.

Unfortunately bad storms earlier in the day had actually rained and hailed on some trucks that were delivering the finale fireworks so they were cancelled. I mention it because it lead to the most incredible quote of the night as I was walking to get the car.
Young boy to mother (in a church parking lot): "Mom, why aren't there going to be fireworks now?"
"Because of fucking Barack Obama."

Seriously.




Today I harvested: Mayhem!
And petted 0 cats.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment