17 August 2011

Day 11

Great Places, Great Faces
South Dakota!

So I missed the Sioux Empire Fair because I was working and too tired to go after work, but my grandfather surprised me this evening by asking me to go (take him, really) along to the Parker Fair (Parker is the city's name, about 15 miles southwest of here)(It's actually the Turner County Fair).




I have to say, he's remarkably mobile for a 90 year old. Actually he's remarkably mobile for a 70 year old. (Shame on that tram driver who didn't stop to make room for him in the parking lot!)

We took some time to look at the antique farming equipment on display from the Heritage Museum and he was able to say which year many of the machines debuted. I bet they could fill a small book asking him questions one afternoon. I doubt there's many others in the area who have been involved in farming for the last 76 years or so.

For example he said "I remember (so and so) got one of them Bailers when I was going to catechism school..."

Anyway, where he lead, I followed.


We saw some prize winning pigs..




And Sheep...



And also, of course, cows.





All of which were available in various forms as food for $2-$3.




Anyway, I have to say that it's amazing the children of Turner County grow up at all. Many of them were unsupervised, but others were really sternly parented. I don't know the full stories of course, but I found myself thinking that a DCF case worker would probably lose their self control. I'm saying these folks are bad with their kids one way or another.



Still, there's plenty that are alright I guess, because there were very healthy entries in the 4H bunny competition, and milk goats, and even a pair of dromedary camels although I think they were just there for the other livestock to gossip overtly about, and not a 4H entry.

Today I Harvested: Local Flavor
And petted 1 goats.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment