24 August 2011

Day 15

Today I mostly hid from labor, because it was a blessed day off. I'll have more of them, interspersed in my week later, but going from unemployed to a full M-F 40 hours is a bit jarring!

My grandparents asked me to come along to customer appreciation day at the local grain elevator. A grain elevator is like the inverse of a gas station, kind of. You harvest your grain from your farm and take it there and they put it into their tanks. (Also you can get paid at the current rate or at the rate you previously locked in at, it's like stock markets that way. Of course there are Gas Banks that lock in prices for gas too, so the strange analogy holds.)



I enjoyed the sliced pork BBQ and the potato salad. There was beer available too, but I decided not to push it. I kind of looked the part, even my Grandmother commented on that point, but you can't just buy a wolf from zoomart and stick it into a random pack. I'm saying I stuck out because it was a small community.

Well, I didn't mind all the "who's that guy" stares because I needed to be along to help my grandparents. They could have gone alone but I worry about their ability to safely be mobile. Ironically I gained a little more acceptance when I literally caught another of the elderly in attendance. There was a guy who turned around to get a napkin and his momentum was more than he could shuffle. I dropped my food and caught him around the shoulders. Apparently he had fallen twice recently and just gotten out of the hospital. They insisted I take extra food or that one, but still the younger farmers showed some fangs under their seed-company ball-caps when I walked past the barrels of beer :D

It's ok Farmers, come October I'll be driving a combine down the cornrows too (hehe, EJ) and then I'll learn to talk about the weather and stick my hands in my pockets properly.



Also, I left my grandparents to socialize while I went on a much needed grocery trip in the town grocery store. While perusing the six aisles I came across something bizarre. They had a very limited inventory but an abundance of uncommon potato chip flavors. I bought Szechuan.





Today I harvested: (More) Local (uncommon) Flavor
And Petted 0 Cats

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment