17 December 2010

Prompt 14: "Appreciate"

December 14 – Appreciate
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?
(Author: Victoria Klein)

The "thing" I appreciate the most is my smart phone, because it has all the answers to the questions I come up with, it keeps me connected socially (even if it's on a superficial level it seems to satisfy the psychological need), and it saves and shows me my music and pictures whenever I want.  Sorry there isn't any deeper reflection here, that's the facts and the prompt was very simple.  I express gratitude for it by using it everywhere and the unique shape makes it a walking advertisement for the product, this isn't intentional, again it's just the facts.

More interestingly, I appreciate that my parents didn't object to me moving back in at the end of the summer.  Just because they expected it didn't mean they had to make it an easy transition.  Mostly they leave me alone, and when they can they try not to wake me up when I'm trying to sleep in.  I eat out of their pantry and that's more hospitality than I'd want to allow, especially when the last brownies or cookies are gone if I were coming home from a day of work.  As for how I show gratitude, not nearly enough.  I try to be helpful and share the work, and stay out of their business.  I think they enjoy the third voice in conversations and having someone else to talk with so they don't drive each other AS crazy.  Still, that's not a lot of gratitude being expressed.

(I'm now ALMOST caught up with Reverb10 prompts)

No comments:

Post a Comment