10 January 2011

Can't sleep.

I feel like a hamster in a 1' glass cube, sitting in the middle of a field.  Outside of my cube I can see all of the other hamsters running around, occasionally pausing to look in on me and have a little sniff, but mostly just scurrying about gathering all the abundant grains and food.  Occasionally there's a cat that comes by, or some birds fly by.  Sometimes it rains, mostly it's sunny.  In my box I can sleep, I have enough to eat and my waste doesn't pile up, it's not too hot and doesn't get cold, but everything else is outside of the safe little box.  I don't want for the basic necessities, but the greater experiences like exploring, bonding, facing life's challenges are beyond my reach.  Maybe if I was a hamster I'd feel happy.

1 comment:

  1. I love that at 4:30 in the morning you can write something so vivid. I can't even write a picture that well at my most rested state.

    ReplyDelete